Saturday, April 6, 2013

Expectations


Why do you open the door only to slam it in my face? I yanked up more weeds.
I don’t understand. Dirt flew.

When I saw her name on that blog after reading the article saying she was accepting submissions, I thought it was a sign from you. My cat scurried away after a dirt clod hit him in the face.

Why was I rejected again? I tossed the pile of weeds into the box and moved down a few feet.

Slowly my anger and disappointment began to subside. I pulled more weeds as I continued my conversation with God.

It had to be from you, didn’t it? As my anger slowly faded His voice began to come through.
Was that the direction I told you to go?

No. I know I was supposed to write another story and submit it elsewhere, and no, I didn’t do that but… I stopped. But what? I asked myself. I’d just been reading in Genesis where Jacob had settled in Shechem instead of returning to Bethel as he had promised God. I saw that Jacob’s delayed obedience had cost him and his family dearly and here I was doing the same thing. I didn’t want to do what God had told me. I wanted to rely on the work I had already done to be published; I didn’t want to do more work. I was doing the same thing that Jacob had done. Even though God had blessed Jacob tremendously, still Jacob did not follow God’s plans.

Often we will do what we want and expect God to bless it. We seek and look for “signs” that point to what we want and then are disappointed when they don’t work out. All the while our heavenly Father is right there holding the blessing He has for us, waiting patiently for our obedience. How long will I make Him wait?

Was there a time when you expected God to bless your plans?

8 comments:

  1. I can relate. Many times I've done the work and asked God's blessing before stopping, asking God what to do and working under his blessing.

    Great post, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jesse, I know we all have had that experiance a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can surely relate. I am currently experiencing a change in my work that I have resisted. I have worked really hard in this area BUT...That door is really closing now. It is a bittersweet time but trusting God has different work for me is such a blessing. And having wonderful Christian friends to say all the write (pun)things surely helps. Thanks so much for sharing this, Sandy. You are a blessing to me. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marylane, I am excited to see what God has in store for you!

      Delete
  4. This was great Sandy. Thank you. I am looking forward to reading more blogs from you. Much Love Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, Your 30 day challenge is responsible for re-booting my blogging. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete
  5. So true. Sometimes we become so eager that we assume any sign is a sign from God. Then, we assume we can recline in our easy writing mode and think God will miraculously make something great out of something that needs work. I'm just as guilty as anyone. Thank you Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, So true, Loretta. God rewards humbleness and faithfulness, neither of which I am good at.:)

      Delete